BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

In The Light


It's been a few weeks since my last update, and I'm determined to stay on top of this, so here it goes. I've been working as a photographer at Ripley's Aquarium here in Myrtle Beach. Hopefully, once the paychecks start coming, it'll pay the bills and allow me to save a bit. It's a fun job, and would've been a great job to have at any point before now. The problem is that now I have a degree and I'm working a part-time job. What am I really contributing? I really want to find something in my field and grow and develop within that field. Chances are, this job will last me through summer and I'll seek out more permanent employment elsewhere.

On the subject of elsewhere, Abby is currently in Philadelphia interviewing with several international schools in hopes of finding employment in another country. The most promising prospect at the moment is a school in MaturĂ­n, Venezuela. I've been reading conflicting reports on the level of safety for US citizens living or visiting Venezuela this morning, and would love a more definitive answer. I am all for living and working in another country, but I wonder how it would end up. In a country where we don't speak the language, our social circle could end up being limited to the other teachers at the school. This is all well and good, but it's nice to be able to socialize with people outside of work who you do not actually work with. It may seem silly to be considering a social life while there are so many important factors to consider, but it is important. I want to be able to meet new people and make new friends where ever we may end up. As far as international escapades are concerned, I'd love to use an opportunity in Venezuela as a stepping stone to living and working in Europe, where we could comfortably spend a few years.

Very little else is going on in my world at the moment. I miss a few little things about Philadelphia, but not too much. Mainly, its the proximity to friends and ability to walk to a variety of places that I miss. Other than that, I'm ok with where I am now. Occasionally I do encounter the stereotypical Southern attitude, but not often enough that it is a problem. I'm sure it will become a more pleasant experience once tourist season picks up and there is more to do. Those aforementioned paychecks should help too, with trips to Charleston spicing things up a bit.

In the meantime, I hope to find a lead on a job that involves my Film and Media Arts degree in some capacity. I want to have a job in which I feel useful, not just a body performing mindless tasks in repetitive fashion. Also, I am in desperate need of ideas for good self portraits. I am 200+ days into the project and find my creative well running dry.

0 comments: