BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ay Diablo

Well, it has been an interesting handful of weeks. I'm back in New Jersey, living with my parents, and somewhat desperately searching for jobs. I was expecting to go back to work at the museum, but that did not quite pan out as I had expected. In the past year, I have put out nearly 100 applications/resumes, and I've had three interviews out of all of them. Yikes.

In one of my previous updates, I wrote about saving money here in order to have a bit of savings stowed away for the next place Abby and I end up. A few things have set that back a bit. One is the realization of how much I truly owe. Thanks mainly to my poor financial habits while attending Temple, I am officially $78,162 in the hole. If I were to make a payment of $1000 every month from here on out, I'll be done paying for it when I'm 40. With that information now in front of me, I have to reevaluate some goals and plans. Another issue is the job hunt. I've only been called for one interview since coming back up here and that worries me. There was also the little hiccup with identity theft, but that's been about 80% taken care of. On top of that, my phone broke, so the limited contact I had with Abby dwindled even more. It has been difficult to try and stay positive in light of these events of the past two weeks, but I am trying.

On the plus side, I'm starting the process to become a substitute teacher. Granted, the process will cost me roughly $250, but my parents said that they'd assist with that. This is good on a number of levels. First and foremost, it's a job and a paycheck. Sub jobs around here range from $75-100 per day. Secondly, I see it as a test. If I like it, I can pursue teaching as a possible career. There are a few programs around here in which I could obtain a Master's degree in education should I so desire. Finally, it will give me somewhat of a better idea of what Abby puts up with on a daily basis.

In the meantime, I've been spending a lot of time on this chair staring into space. There's only so many jobs out there, and I've applied to most of them. I haven't really had the money to go see any friends since I've been back in the area. I went to one lunch meeting with a few Temple grads in hopes of getting a documentary project off the ground, but I feel that the meeting just pushed it farther down into said ground. It's frustrating being here with nothing to do, and even more so to know that Abby has a new crowd to hang out with that I just missed out on. I'm really hoping to get together with friends soon because I think I could use a good conversation over a couple of drinks.

In other news, I recently posted a to-do list for the year on Facebook, which I think I'll elaborate on a bit.

1. Make (at least) one film/movie. (Documentary is currently being planned.)
-I want to shoot a documentary on the district musical. While things initially looked to be going well, interest in the project has been somewhat dismal since. I still have hope for it.
2. Visit Canada. I have no excuse for not having gone yet.
-CJ mentioned having a relative near Toronto. As soon as I can justify spending the money, I want to drive up.
3. Get back into a work out routine. Break's over.
-I have been seriously slacking. I need motivation.
4. Hang out with a Disney person. Been too long.
-I've spent a lot of money I didn't have on this in the past, which led to a significant portion of the aforementioned debt. In fact, I figure about $3000 of that debt was spent visiting CP friends and Abby. I don't regret it, but that doesn't mean that it was a smart move on my part.
5. Check out this Piazza I've heard so much about. Where was this when I lived in that area?
-Why do I feel like cool things happen once I leave? I'm looking forward to checking this out, especially after seeing Timmy's Clam Bake.
6. Save money. Priority wise, this is numero uno.
-I've actually done incredibly well stretching the little money I have, but I did have help. We'll see how this goes after I get hired somewhere.
7. Stick with my photo project. (I lasted 345/365 days last time.)
-Just over three weeks in and still going strong. I need to get a bit more creative with it, but so far, so good.
8. Run in a race. Perhaps a 5K?
-Before moving up here, I wanted to run in the 5K in MB. I'm sure I can find one here to run. I want to do this in Spring.
9. Try not to go insane when LOST ends. This is a legitimate worry.
-I just re-watched last season's finale. Out of the eleven items on this list, this is the one I have the least confidence in. I simply cannot fathom how they will end this story.
10. Get Abby out of the South and get a new place.
-I was worried that I would begin to get comfortable there and just accept it for what it was. I hope Abby doesn't get to that point, because I think she would thrive in an environment more conducive to her personality and style.
11. Try as many new things as possible.
-Well, I can't think of anything I've done in the first 26 days of this year that would count for this.

Well, this has been a downer and if anyone actually read it, I apologize. I really hope I get to chat with friends this week, get some things off of my chest, and some beer in my mouth. I would like to end on a happy note and say that the Wittwer family is currently in the process of getting a dog. It's about time!!

0 comments: